Reading Time: 2 minutes
Mayfair, oh Mayfair. We are big fans of Mayfair. Our luxury Mayfair hotel is located right in the heart, so we can’t escape its charm and glamour. How lucky to be situated in such a fine spot.
You can find out more about where we are and nearby London attractions here, but we thought we’d give you some lesser-known facts about Mayfair to raise those eyebrows:
- Two famous haunted houses are located within one block in Mayfair. No.50 Berkeley Square is said to be London’s most haunted house (it’s now a bookstore), and just down the street at No.44, the ghost of Lady Isabella Finch’s servant reportedly haunts the premises.
- The guitarist Jimi Hendrix lived next door to George Frideric Handel, the famous composer, at No.25 Brook Street in Mayfair. This is where Handel lived the last few decades of his life, and today is the Handel House museum.
- The Sherlock Holmes museum at 239 Baker Street in Mayfair displays mementos of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s world-famous detective who has been immortalized not only in the original books but in television, film and other media.
- The 1980s film Half Moon Street a British–American erotic thriller starring Michael Caine and Sigourney Weaver. It follows an American woman working as a British escort who becomes involved in the political intrigues surrounding one of her clients.
- Mama Cass and Keith Moon died in the same room in flat 12, 9 Curzon Street Mayfair (though not at the same time). Mama Cass passed away in 1974 from a heart attack in her sleep. Keith Moon had sadly ingested a fatal dose of tablets intended to help him overcome his alcoholism.
On a lighter note, if you like Monopoly and agree that Mayfair belongs on the board, check out www.mayfairismissing.co.uk and sign the petition. Let’s get Mayfair back on the board!